The Maine Public Broadcasting Network
Listen Live
Classical 24
Search
Visible By Administrators Only
Propane Eyed as Likely Cause of Deadly House Explosion in Bath
02/12/2013 4:14 PM ET  

State Public Safety Department officials say the house was heated by propane gas heaters, the only source of fuel to the dwelling.

The State Fire Marshal's Office says it's focusing on propane as the likely cause of this morning's explosion at a Bath duplex that killed one woman and injured four. State Public Safety Department officials say the house was heated by propane gas heaters, the only source of fuel to the dwelling.

The identity of the victim has not yet been released. The State Medical Examiner's Office will examine the body to establish an ID, a process that officials say will continue tomorrow.

The single-story duplex in the development was occupied on one side by a woman and on the other side by a man, identified as Kenneth Hooper.

Officials say Hooper had left for work at a nearby MacDonald's about a half hour before the explosion. After hearing the blast, he returned to the house and was overcome when he saw the devastation.  Hooper was  taken to a hospital and later released, officials say.

Three other people living in nearby houses were also taken to the hospital after being slightly injured in the blast, which sent debris flying up to a quarter of a mile away. Authorities say clothing, wood, insulation, shingles and other debris landed in trees and atop nearby homes.



ReturnReturn!



Become a Fan of the NEW MPBNNews Facebook page. Get news, updates and unique content to share and discuss:

Recommended by our audience on Facebook:
Copyright © 2014 Maine Public Broadcasting Network. All rights reserved.