The Maine Public Broadcasting Network
Listen Live
Classical 24
Search
Visible By Administrators Only
Trucker Acquitted of Manslaughter in Maine
03/17/2014 04:20 PM ET  

The judge described the condition of the truck involved in the death of a15-year-old boy as ``deplorable,'' but ruled that the evidence didn't support a finding of recklessness or criminal negligence under the law.

ALFRED, Maine (AP) _ A trucking company and driver have been acquitted of manslaughter charges stemming from the death of a 15-year-old boy two years ago in Sanford, Maine.

The Journal Tribune says Justice John O'Neil issued his verdict Monday following a four-day trial last week.

The judge described the condition of the truck operated by Stuart, Torno and Stuart Inc. of Lebanon as ``deplorable,'' noting that the inspection sticker had expired and that three of the four brakes weren't working. But he ruled the evidence didn't support a finding of recklessness or criminal negligence under the law.

The judge said 15-year-old Corey Cabana was looking down at a cellphone or iPod and likely didn't see or hear the truck as he rode a skateboard into its path in July 2012.


 

ReturnReturn!



Become a Fan of the NEW MPBNNews Facebook page. Get news, updates and unique content to share and discuss:

Recommended by our audience on Facebook:
Copyright © 2014 Maine Public Broadcasting Network. All rights reserved.