The Maine Public Broadcasting Network
Listen Live
Classical 24
Search
Maine Fire Investigators Pinpoint Cause of Fatal House Explosion
02/13/2013 12:17 PM ET  

Authorities say the blast was caused by a leak in a propane gas line on an outside wall of a duplex, which was leveled yesterday in the explosion.

The State Fire Marshal's Office says yesterday's fatal house explosion in Bath was caused by a leak in a propane line on the outside wall of the building destroyed in the blast.

Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland says the gas line was connected to an propane tank outside the single-story duplex. The tank provided fuel to two gas heaters used to heat the building.

Fire investigators say the leak was in an outside wall of the house. They say fumes from the leak likely seeped into a crawl space under the building and were ignited by an unknown source.

The blast leveled the building, killing a woman in one of the units. Authorities say the leak occurred in the outside wall of the other unit, occupied by Kenneth Hooper. Officials say Hooper had left for work about a half-hour before the blast.

The identity of the female victim, whose body was found the rubble of the other unit and taken to the state medical examiner's office, has not yet been released.


 

ReturnReturn!



Become a Fan of the NEW MPBNNews Facebook page. Get news, updates and unique content to share and discuss:

Recommended by our audience on Facebook:
Copyright © 2014 Maine Public Broadcasting Network. All rights reserved.