The Maine Public Broadcasting Network
Listen Live
Classical 24
Search
Deadly Maine Fire Prompts Look at Fire Safety
11/14/2012   Reported By: Tom Porter

It was deadliest fire in Maine since 1992. Some cardboxes stacked too close to a wood stove in the basement of a house in Orrington caused a fire that killed a father and his three young children. Only the mother survived. Fire investigators found that while the family did have smoke detectors in the house, they were not activated. It may come as a surprise to some listeners to learn that this setup is perfectly in accordance with the state's fire safey code. Maine State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas speaks about the legal requirements regarding smoke dectectors in single family homes in Maine with Maine Things Considered host Tom Porter.

Related Media
Deadly Maine Fire Prompts Look at Fire Safety Listen
 Duration:
3:38

Maine State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas. He says that anyone with questions about the effectiveness of their smoke detectors should not hesitate to contact their local fire department.


ReturnReturn!



Become a Fan of the NEW MPBNNews Facebook page. Get news, updates and unique content to share and discuss:

Recommended by our audience on Facebook:
Copyright © 2014 Maine Public Broadcasting Network. All rights reserved.