About the MAINE CAPITOL CONNECTION
The MAINE CAPITOL CONNECTION is a free over-the-air television channel devoted to providing public access to the political processes of the Maine State Legislature in Augusta allowing citizens across the diversity of Maine to engage and participate in the democratic process. The project is funded and produced by the Maine Public Broadcasting Network with journalist Mal Leary leading a team of staff as the Managing Editor and Director of the MAINE CAPITOL CONNECTION.
The MAINE CAPITOL CONNECTION will provide live and digital delayed coverage of the legislative sessions with an evening rebroadcast of the same content in consistent timeslots. Core programming will include the daily work sessions of the Maine State Senate and the Maine House of Representatives in addition to important committee hearings, special events, and selected press conferences where possible during each session.
The mission of the MAINE CAPITOL CONNECTION is:
1. To provide citizens with the means to watch their state government at work.
2. To provide elected and appointed officials and others who influence public policy with a direct conduit to citizens without filtering their points of view.
3. To provide the audience with frequent access to elected and appointed officials, governmental bodies, agencies and commissions, and other decision makers.
4. To provide students and educators with a working knowledge of Maine State government.
5. To adhere to broadcast production values that accurately convey the business of state government without editing, interpreting, or distorting the proceedings.