The Maine Public Broadcasting Network
Listen Live
Classical 24
Suspect in Maine Triple Homicide Pleads Not Guilty
11/05/2012   Reported By: Jay Field

The second suspect in what police believe was the drug-related murder of three people pleaded not guilty this morning in a Bangor courtroom. A Rhode Island man was extradited to Maine last week, after his early October arrest in Massachusetts. As Jay Field reports, the triple murder - and way it was carried out - has drawn added media attention in a state that's grown all too accustomed to drug-related crime.

Related Media
Suspect in Maine Triple Homicide Pleads Not Guilty Listen

At around 1:00 a.m. on Aug. 13, friends of 26-year-old Daniel Thomas Borders of Hermon told the Bangor Daily News that Borders left a party in Bangor with a man driving a white Pontiac with Rhode Island plates, possibly to go smoke some marijuana.

Twenty-four-year-old Nicolle Lugdon of Bangor, and 28-year-old Lucas Alan Tuscano of Bradford, tagged along. Two-and-a-half hours later, a woman on her way to work discovered that same white Pontiac engulfed in flames in an empty parking lot, not far from the highway.

Inside sat the bodies of Borders, Lugdon and Toscano, all shot to death, before being burned beyond recognition. Rental car records linked the Pontiac to 31-year-old Nicholas Sexton.

Superior Court Justice E. Allen Hunter presided over Sexton's arraignment in a Bangor courtroom, where Sexton sat between two court-appointed defense lawyers in a red prison jump suit, chained at the ankles and around the waist, his voice barely audible.

"And what is your plea Mr. Sexton?" the judge asked. "Not guilty," Sexton responded.

Immediately after his not guilty plea, sheriff's deputies led Sexton away. Friends and relatives were reportedly in attendence, but none made themselves available to reporters. Sgt. Paul Kenison says investigators are in touch with the families. Kenison is a detective with the Bangor Police Department.

"We have victim advocates set up through the district attorney's office," Kenison says. "And we try to keep in close contact with the families and keep them updated on any new developments in the information, and just work with them as they work through their greiving processes."

A team of Massachusetts authorities and FBI agents arrested Sexton at gunpoint in early October. Last week. police brought him to Maine.

"This is certainly a major step in the process, to have both suspects in custody and back in Maine," Kenison says. "There's a lot of follow-up investigation, as is the case with any homicide. It's a very complicated case. There's a lot of witnesses that we need to track down still, and speak to. And the investigation will keep on going."

The other suspect in the case is 34-year-old Randall "Ricky" Daluz, who also goes by the nickname "Money." When police in New Bedford, Massachusetts, arrested him in early October, the Bangor Daily News reported that Daluz blamed Sexton for the crimes. He allegedly told police that Sexton shot the victims over money and would have killed him too, if he hadn't run out of bullets.

Both men have prior criminal records, including drug and assault charges, and stints in state prison. The state would like to try the suspects together. But Sexton's attorneys oppose that idea. One of the lawyers, David Bate, says the defense hasn't seen any documents related to the case.

"We're just going to wait to see the police reports and the other discovery - should be available in the next, maybe, two to four months," Bate says. "And from there we will navigate out, scout out our defense strategy."

Bate says his client should be presumed innocent until proven otherwise. Both Sexton and Daluz are being held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail. Trying the men could take as long as 18 months.


Become a Fan of the NEW MPBNNews Facebook page. Get news, updates and unique content to share and discuss:

Recommended by our audience on Facebook:
Copyright © 2014 Maine Public Broadcasting Network. All rights reserved.