Home: The Story of Maine
A Part of
the Main: European Settlement of the Mainland
Lesson #4: A Field
Trip to the Maine State Museum
Assignment Sheet #4
Archaeologists study the past by examining what ancient
cultures leave behind. One of the many things that
archaeologists examine is an ancient cultureís technology. What
kinds of tools did they use? What were they made of? How did
these tools affect the ways they ate, fought, lived, and died?
Our culture has its own tools and technologies. We use
computers, microwave ovens, refrigerators, televisions,
automobiles, and airplanesóthe list is long. What do our
technologies say about us?
Imagine that you are an archaeologist in the year 3500. You
have just uncovered the remains of a tool from a site that dates
from about 2000 A.D. What does the tool look like? What does it
tell you about the ancient culture in Maine at this time? What
conclusions do you make? Write a description and an analysis of
the tool, from the point of view of the archaeologist. The
expectations for your essay are outlined below.
A. As the futuristic archaeologist, you should:
- Describe the tool you find in detail, including how it was
found, what material it is made of, how big it is, what color it
- Give your best guess as to how the tool was used,
supporting your guess with evidence from the description of the
- Sketch the tool.
- Compare the tool to a similar tool used by your culture in
the year 3500.
B. Your paper should:
- Be 2-3 pages long, typed, and double-spaced.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how technology shapes
- Be well written, with minimal errors in grammar and
C. Grading Rubric:
An A paper will:
- Meet all the requirements outlined in sections A and B.
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of how technology
- Show an outstanding, creative effort.
A B paper will:
- Meet all the requirements outlined in section A and
requirements 1-2 of section B.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of how technology shapes
- Show a very good effort.
A C paper will:
- Meet requirements 1-3 of section A and 1-2 of section B.
- Demonstrate a poor understanding of how technology shapes
- Show a solid effort.