Home: The Story of Maine
A Part of the Main: European Settlement of the Mainland
Lesson 2: Mapping with Words
Getting to Know Wabanaki Place Names
Using your chart of Wabanaki and English place names, answer the following questions.
- List the two Wabanaki terms for waterfalls on the Penobscot River:
- Where might you get out of your canoe to race up a hill? __________________________
- If you wanted to go hunting, what would be a good place to look for caribou?
- What would you be likely to do at Madamiscomtis? __________________________
- What characteristic distinguishes Matawamkeag? __________________________
- What would you find at Oolamon-oosuk? __________________________
- Where did the name Penobscot River come from? __________________________
- Name four places you might go to fish: __________________________
- What does Katahdin mean? __________________________
- What is the name of the place that means "where they made markings or writings"?