Home: The Story of Maine
A Part of
the Main: European Settlement of the Mainland
Lesson #4: A Field
Trip to the Maine State Museum
Use this form to help guide you through the Maine
State Museum exhibit "12,000 Years in Maine."
- Who were the Paleo-Indians? When were they in
- What kinds of things did they eat?
- What was their most important tool? How was it used?
- What happened to their culture? Why?
- List the names of the different cultures that lived
in Maine during this period.
- List some of the major technologies used by these
- Who were the Red Paint People? Where does their name come
- What distinguishes their culture?
- What was the Susquehanna Tradition?
- What distinguishes the cultures of that period?
- What was the most important technological development of
this period? Why?
- How did this development change daily life for Maineís
- What part of the exhibit interested you the most? Why?
- Name three things you learned about Maineís ancient peoples
from this exhibit.