Using Video in the Classroom:
Why Use Video?
Strategies That Work!
Video can breathe meaning and life into nearly any lesson. Using
video, a teacher can:
- Provide a common experience for all students
- Generate interest and stimulate imagination
- Offer a different perspective or another approach to a topic
- Connect students with far away times and places
- Demonstrate abstract ideas
- Stimulate the development of critical thinking skills
- Enhance self-respect and break down social stereotypes
- Promote critical viewing skills and media awareness
- Explore new sources for educational videos with Maine Public Broadcasting Network
(1-800-884-1717), your media librarian, and the Educational Video
Service of the Maine State Library (207-287-5620).
- Collaborate with other educators to screen programs, share
ideas and plan video-related activities. Integrate video planning
with other curriculum and technology planning activities.
Adapted from PBS member station KQED, San Francisco, CA