SANFORD, Maine (AP) _ Authorities said Thomas Basinger was trying to ignite a fire in the furnace on his Lebanon Road property when it exploded Tuesday afternoon. Officials said he suffered burns on more than 90 percent of his body.
Investigators said Basinger's wife doused her husband with a garden hose. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston for treatment.
Officials believe Basinger used a flammable liquid in the furnace that exploded when he tried to light it. They're trying to determine exactly what happened.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)